Trapped in Chico

An examination of life in a small Texas town.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Well, well, well.

Today's edition of The Chico Texan had an article about the tax rate drop in Chico. But that wasn't the most interesting part. The Mayor had a few words to say about citizens criticizing the city workers stopping and talking to residents during work hours.

My last post may have seemed like that is exactly what I was complaining about. It could not be farther from the truth. I do not take issue with city employees visiting with people during their workday. Furthermore, the picture I posted was taken on a Sunday. Not exactly a normal workday, is it?

My issue (and the point behind my last post) is with use of city vehicles and property for private gain. Yes, we pay for the items via taxes. But if you need to use these items, do it through official channels. Most of the time that way doesn't get you anywhere. I have been trying for three years to get the city to assist me with a problem regarding my property that severely reduces its value, to the point of making it unsalable (hence my username). This isn't some cosmetic issue, this is a problem that rears its head everytime it rains. The city sent out a backhoe once for a pathetic show of assistance and to shut me up. I was then told I could make no other changes to the land and "not to alter the natural flow of water."

What really gets to me is the city discontinued its twice a year bulk trash pickup. Then they opened a city dump where you could pay a fee to dump items that previously you could dump for free during the bulk trash days. It is a duplication of effort. There is a county dump not three miles outside of town. Why exactly do you need a city dump then? Its closer? Please. The city sent out a letter stating that citizens with trucks should assist those without so everybody could take bulky trash items to the city dump. Three miles isn't that far, and the county dump is open more days and longer hours.

If you live in Chico, or ever driven through it you know bulk trash pickup is sorely needed.

1 Comments:

At Monday, January 30, 2006 11:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should update this thing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home